Updated on 13 April 2013.
This article contains the list of best applications available for Linux distros like Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Linux Mint, openSUSE, Mageia, PCLinuxOS etc.
The applications are separated into categories and are listed in alphabetical order.
1) Audio/Image/Video Editors
Blender is a full fledged 3D content creation suite. You can create 3D models and animate scenes. Blender also has its’ own game engine and is vastly expandable with addons.
- 3D Solids and character modeling
- Scene animation
- Physics and particle functions
- Game engine (create a whole game using only Blender)
- Imaging and compositing
- Highly extensible
Inkscape is a superb vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.
Audacity is a multi-track audio editor that can be used to edit digital audio. It features digital effects and spectrum analysis tools. Editing is very fast and provides unlimited undo/redo.
Ardour is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), suitable for recording, mixing and mastering. Some of its features include:
- Unlimited audio tracks and buses
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing with unlimited undo
- Anything-to-anywhere signal routing
- Unlimited pre- and post-fader plugins
- 32 bit floating point audio path
- Automatic track delay compensation
- Sample accurate automation
- Standard file formats (BWF, WAV, WAV64, AIFF, CAF & more …)
- More than 200 LADSPA & LV2 plugins freely available
- MIDI CC control with 1 click
- Level 2 MIDI Machine Control
- MIDI Timecode (MTC) Master or Slave
- Full integration with all JACK applications
- Video-synced playback, pull up/pull down
DVDStyler can be used to create custom, professional looking DVD’s.
- User-friendly interface with support of drag & drop
- Multiple subtitles and audio tracks
- Design your own DVD menu or select a template
- Create a photo slide show
- support of AVI, MOV, MP4, MPEG, OGG, WMV and other file formats
- support of MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, Xvid, MP2, MP3, AC-3 and other audio and video formats
GIMP stands for Gnu Image Manipulation Program, and is a similar to Photoshop.
HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder. Handbrake can process most common multimeida files and any DVD or Bluray sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
- File Containers: MP4(M4V) and MKV
- Video Encoders: H.264(x264), MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 (libav), or Theora(libtheora)
- Audio Encoders: AAC, CoreAudio AAC/HE-AAC (OS X Only), MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis.
- Audio Passthru: AC-3, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC and MP3 tracks
- Video Filters: Deinterlacing, Decomb, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and scaling
Openshot is a simple video editor for Linux. Add videos, photos and music to create DVD’s, youtube clips and a range of other formats.
- Simple and clean UI
- Intuitive use
- Format support based on ffmpeg
Kdenlive is a free open-source video editor which supports DV, AVCHD and HDV editing. Kdenlive is built upon MLT and ffmpeg frameworks, which provide unique features to mix virtually any kind of media.
- Mix different media without prior import:
- Any Video, audio or image files supported by Kdenlive.
- Custom profiles including resolutions, frame rates, PAR and DAR.
- Support for a wide range of codecs and formats:
- Mpeg2, mp4 and h264 video.
- Mp2, mp3 and ac3 audio.
- Lossless video (SNOW lossless codec, etc …).
- Free video (Ogg vorbis, etc …).
Bluefish is a GTK+HTML editor for web designers. Its features include nice startup wizards, tables and frames, a fully featured image insert dialogue, thumbnail creation and automatic linking of the thumbnail with the original image and configurable HTML syntax highlighting.
Anjuta is an IDE for C/C++ and GNOME/GTK+ applications that features a number of advanced programming facilities including project management, application wizard, interactive debugger, source editor, version control, GUI designer, profiler and many more tools. It focuses on providing simple and usable user interface, yet powerful for efficient development. It also integrates with version control systems like VCS, Git or Subversion.
Qt Creator is a lightweight IDE designed to make development with the Qt application framework even faster and easier. The features include
- Advanced C++ code editor
- Integrated GUI layout and forms designer
- Project and build management tools
- Integrated, context-sensitive help system
- Visual debugger
- Rapid code navigation tools
Geany is a small and lightweight Integrated Development Environment. It was developed to provide a small and fast IDE, which has only a few dependencies from other packages. Another goal was to be as independent as possible from a special Desktop Environment like KDE or GNOME – Geany only requires the GTK2 runtime libraries.
Some basic features of Geany:
- Syntax highlighting
- Code folding
- Symbol name auto-completion
- Construct completion/snippets
- Auto-closing of XML and HTML tags
- Call tips
- Many supported filetypes including C, Java, PHP, HTML, Python, Perl, Pascal
- Symbol lists
- Code navigation
- Build system to compile and execute your code
- Simple project management
- Plugin interface
Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient text editing. It is an improved version of the vi editor distributed with most UNIX systems.
Vim is often called a “programmer’s editor,” and so useful for programming that many consider it an entire IDE. It’s not just for programmers, though. Vim is perfect for all kinds of text editing, from composing email to editing configuration files.
gedit is a text editor which supports most standard editor features, extending this basic functionality with other features not usually found in simple text editors. gedit is a graphical application which supports editing multiple text files in one window.
Firefox is the best free and open source web browser developed by the Mozilla foundation. Firefox delivers safe, secure and easy web browsing experience.
Dropbox is a file hosting service operated by Dropbox, Inc., that offers cloud storage, file synchronization, and client software. Dropbox allows users to create a special folder on each of their computers, which Dropbox then synchronizes so that it appears to be the same folder (with the same contents) regardless of which computer is used to view it. Files placed in this folder also are accessible through a website and mobile phone applications. It offers 2GB for free and you can earn upto 18GB for by referral.
flareGet is a full featured, multi-threaded and multi-segment download manager and accelerator for Linux. It supports in-built browser integration with all the browsers. Its features include,
- Dynamic File Segmentation: It uses a robust dynamic file segmentation algorithm to speed up the download. It supports up to 32 segments per download
- HTTP-Pipelining: In addition to dynamic file segmentation, each segment is further accelerated up to six times
- Auto Segmentation: When one segment ends, it starts another segment to help terminate another segment more fast
- Advanced Browser Integration: The only download manager for Linux which integrates with all the browsers to snatch away download url and start the download by itself. It does this magic without any addons
- Multi-protocol support: It supports HTTP, HTTPS and FTP protocols to let you download files from internet. It also supports pipelining for HTTP and HTTPS protocols
- Resume support: You can pause the downloads to download them later, you needn’t start from the beginning again. It also automatically retries when a segment or download fails
- Smart Scheduler: You can easily schedule flareGet to download files automatically. It allows you to start and pause downloading files at the set time
- Add or remove segments: You can add or remove download segments dynamically without interrupting the download
- Clipboard Monitoring: No need to copy paste your download links, it monitors your clipboard
- Limit downloads: You can limit the number of simultaneous downloads, when one download ends, another starts automatically
Mozilla Thunderbird is a free, open source, cross-platform email, news and chat client developed by the Mozilla Foundation. Thunderbird is an email, newsgroup, news feed and chat (XMPP, IRC, Twitter) client. The vanilla version is not a personal information manager, although the Mozilla Lightning extension adds PIM functionality. Additional features, if needed, are often available via other extensions.
Thunderbird supports POP and IMAP. It also supports LDAP address completion. The built-in RSS/Atom reader can also be used as a simple news aggregator. Thunderbird supports the S/MIME standard, extensions such as Enigmail and support for the OpenPGP standard.
Gufw is a GUI to manage Ufw. Ufw stands for Uncomplicated Firewall, and is program for managing a netfilter firewall and aims to be uncomplicated and easy to use.
FileZilla is a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive graphical user interface. Among others, the features of FileZilla include the following:
- Supports FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
- IPv6 support
- Supports resume and transfer of large files >4GB
- Tabbed user interface
- Powerful Site Manager and transfer queue
- Drag & drop support
- Configurable transfer speed limits
- Filename filters
- Directory comparison
- Network configuration wizard
- Remote file editing
- HTTP/1.1, SOCKS5 and FTP-Proxy support
- Logging to file
- Synchronized directory browsing
- Remote file search
Pidgin is a graphical, modular instant messaging client capable of using multiple networks at once. The list of chat networks supported by pidgin are,
- Google Talk
XChat is an IRC chat client with GTK+ GUI. It allows you to join multiple IRC channels (chat rooms) at the same time, talk publicly, private one-on-one conversations etc. Even file transfers are possible.
Deluge is a full-featured BitTorrent client using libtorrent in its backend and features multiple user-interfaces including: GTK+, web and console. It has been designed using the client server model with a daemon process that handles all the bittorrent activity. The Deluge daemon is able to run on headless machines with the user-interfaces being able to connect remotely from any platform.
Deluge features a rich plugin collection; in fact, most of Deluge’s functionality is available in the form of plugins.
Amarok is a powerful music player with an intuitive interface. It makes playing the music you love and discovering new music easier than ever before and it looks good doing it! Amarok is based on the powerful Qt4 / KDE4 Platform and nicely integrates with KDE desktop. Much work has been invested into integrating Amarok 2 with various Web services:
- Jamendo Service
- OPML Podcast Directory Amarok comes with a lot of features including but not limited to:
- Scripts – enhance your Amarok experience with community developed scripts.
- Dynamic Playlists – create playlists that automatically update.
- Context View – customize interface with the Plasma powered Context View.
- PopUp Dropper – simplify drag&drop actions with revolutionary menu system.
- Multiple Language Translations
- Collection Management – organizing your music collection has never been easier with Amarok’s powerful tagging, renaming, and sorting abilities.
- Database Importing – import collections from Amarok 1.4 or iTunes.
- Scriptable Services – integrate other web services into Amarok.
Audacious is a fork of beep-media-player which supports winamp skins and many codecs. In the default install, the following codecs are supported:
- Ogg Vorbis / Theora
- AAC and AAC+
- Windows Media (WMA)
- WAVE Additionally, Audacious is extendable through plugins, and contains other useful features like LIRC support. Support for many more codecs can also be added through plugins.
K3b (from KDE Burn Baby Burn) is a CD and DVD authoring application by KDE. It provides a graphical user interface to perform most CD/DVD burning tasks like creating an Audio CD from a set of audio files or copying a CD/DVD, as well as more advanced tasks such as burning eMoviX CD/DVDs. It can also perform direct disc-to-disc copies.
Some of K3b’s main features include:
- Data CD/DVD burning
- Audio CD burning
- CD Text support
- Blu-ray/DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW/DVD+RW support
- CD-R/CD-RW support
- Mixed Mode CD (Audio and Data on one disk)
- Multisession CD
- Video CD/Video DVD authoring
- eMovix CD/eMovix DVD
- Disk-to-disk CD and DVD copying
- Erasing CD-RW/DVD-RW/DVD+RW
- ISO image support
- Ripping Audio CDs, Video CDs, Video DVDs
Tux Paint is meant to be a simple drawing program for young children. It is not meant as a general-purpose drawing tool. It IS meant to be fun and easy to use. Sound effects and a cartoon character help let the user know what’s going on, and keeps them entertained.
Tux Paint is extensible. Brushes and “rubber stamp” shapes can be dropped in and pulled out. For example, a teacher can drop in a collection of animal shapes and ask their students to draw an ecosystem. Each shape can have a sound which is played, and textual facts which are displayed, when the child selects the shape.
MyPaint is a fast and easy open-source graphics application for digital painters. It lets you focus on the art instead of the program. You work on your canvas with minimum distractions, bringing up the interface only when you need it.
It comes with a large brush collection including charcoal and ink to emulate real media, but the highly configurable brush engine allows you to experiment with your own brushes and with not-quite-natural painting.
Shotwell is a digital photo organizer designed for the GNOME desktop environment. It allows you to import photos from disk or camera, organize them in various ways, view them in full-window or fullscreen mode, and export them to share with others. You can use shotwell to organize your library of photos.
- Import multiple formats
- Edit tags
- Convert formats
- Simple editing on the fly
- Publish directly to social sites
VLC is the VideoLAN project’s media player. It plays MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, WebM, FLAC, MP3, Ogg/Vorbis files, DVDs, VCDs, podcasts, and multimedia streams from various network sources.
VLC can also be used as a streaming server that duplicates the stream it reads and multicasts them through the network to other clients, or serves them through HTTP.
VLC has support for on-the-fly transcoding of audio and video formats, either for broadcasting purposes or for movie format transformations. Support for most output methods is provided by this package, but features can be added by installing additional audio plugins (vlc-plugin-pulse, vlc-plugin-sdl) or video plugins (vlc-plugin-sdl).
LibreOffice is a free and open source office suite, developed by The Document Foundation. The LibreOffice suite includes a word processor, spreadsheet, graphics editor, slideshow creator, database and math formula writer.
Okular is a universal document viewer. Okular combines the excellent functionalities of KPDF with the versatility of supporting different kind of documents, like
- and others
Evince is a simple multi-page document viewer. It can display and print PostScript (PS), Encapsulated PostScript (EPS), DjVu, DVI, Portable Document Format (PDF) and XML Paper Specification (XPS) files. When supported by the document, it also allows searching for text, copying text to the clipboard, hypertext navigation, and table-of-contents bookmarks. Evince is specifically designed to support the file following formats:
- SyncTex support with gedit
- comics books (cbr,cbz,cb7 and cbt)
Synapse is a graphical launcher enabling you to start applications and also to quickly find and access relevant documents and files.
Parcellite is a stripped down, basic-features-only clipboard manager with a small memory footprint for those who like simplicity.
- Keeps a clipboard history.
- Various view options to display items the way you like it.
- Daemon mode; guard your clipboard contents when you close applications.
- Perform custom commands using clipboard contents.
Clipboard manager with features such as:
- Save history of your last copied items
- Search through the history
- Global hotkeys for most used functions
- Execute actions with clipboard items
- Exclude specific items from history
Glippy is a clipboard manager for GNOME. It’s written in Mono and is able to:
- store text, rich content, files and images from keyboard clipboard
- store text from mouse clipboard
- synchronize clipboards
- upload to pastebin.com (text) and imgur.com (images)
- shorten links with bit.ly and tinyurl.com
- manage snippets, which are stored texts available in menu
- manage actions, which executes on current clipboard content
- create screenshots and pick colors
- paste content immediately after selection of previous item
- show tray icon / application indicator
- show menu by global keyboard shortcut
- restore previous content after reset
p7zip is the Unix command-line port of 7-Zip, a file archiver that archives with high compression ratios. p7zip-full provides utilities to pack and unpack 7z archives within a shell or using a GUI (such as Ark, File Roller or Nautilus).
Installing p7zip-full allows File Roller to use the very efficient 7z compression format for packing and unpacking files and directories. Additionally, it provides the 7z and 7za commands.
List of supported formats:
- Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, XZ and TAR
- Unpacking only: APM, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, LZMA2, MBR, MSI, MSLZ, NSIS, NTFS, RAR (only if non-free p7zip-rar package is installed), RPM, SquashFS, UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR and Z. p7zip provides 7zr, a light version of 7za, and p7zip, a gzip-like wrapper around 7zr
recordMyDesktop is a free and open source desktop screencasting software application written for GNU/Linux. The program is separated into two parts; a command line tool that performs the tasks of capturing and encoding, and an interface that exposes the program functionality graphically.
Cairo-Dock is a pretty, light and convenient interface to your desktop, able to replace advantageously your system panel! It features multi-docks, taskbar, launchers and a lot of useful applets. Applets can be detached from the dock to act as desktop widgets. Numerous ready-to-use themes are available in 1 click, and can be easily customized at your convenience. It can use hardware acceleration to be very fast and low on CPU.
TrueCrypt is a free and open-source disk encryption software. TrueCrypt can be used for on-the-fly encryption (OTFE). It can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file or encrypt a partition or (under Microsoft Windows except Windows 2000) the entire storage device (pre-boot authentication). Main features include,
- Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
- Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
- Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
- Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
- Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.
- Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.
- Provides plausible deniability
Formatting Removable Drives
The features of Disks include,
- View local and removable storage devices
- View partitions and filesystems
- Format disks and media
- USB keys, card readers, flash media, disk drives
- Support encryption to keep data private (e.g. LUKS or others)
- Modify disk partition layouts
- Create/delete filesystems and partitions
- Edit filesystems and partitions (resize, change label)
- Disk images
- Create/restore disk images for disk/volumes
- Access disk image files (including ISO files)
- Edit system configuration
- Activate specific devices at OS start-up (fstab/crypttab)
- View hardware problems (SMART)
Furius ISO Mount is a simple application for mounting ISO, IMG, BIN, MDF and NG image files even without burning them to disk.
It provides the following features:
- Automatically Mounts ISO, IMG, BIN, MDF and NRG image files.
- Automatically creates a mount point in your home directory.
- Automatically Unmounts the Image files.
- Automatically removes the mount directory to return your home directory to its previous state.
- Automatically saves the history of the last 10 images mounted.
- Mounts multiple images.
- Burn ISO and IMG Files to optical disk.
- Generate Md5 and SHA1 checksums.
- Automatically retrieves any previously unmounted images.
- Automatically generates a log file of all commands needed to mount and unmount images manually.
GParted is a free partition editor for graphically managing your disk partitions. With GParted you can resize, copy, and move partitions without data loss, enabling you to:
- Grow or shrink drives
- Create space for new operating systems
- Attempt data rescue from lost partitions
- Perform actions with partitions such as:
- create or delete
- resize or move
- set new UUID
- copy and paste
- Manipulate file systems such as:
- ext2 / ext3 / ext4
- fat16 / fat32
- hfs / hfs+
- lvm2 pv
- reiserfs / reiser4
KeePassX is a free/open-source password manager or safe which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key-disk. So you only have to remember one single master password or insert the key-disk to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the algorithms AES or Twofish. Features include,
- Extensive management- title for each entry for its better identification
– possibility to determine different expiration dates
– insertion of attachments
– user-defined symbols for groups and entries
– fast entry dublication
– sorting entries in groups
- Search function
– search either in specific groups or in complete database
- Autofill (experimental)
- Database security
– access to the KeePassX database is granted either with a password, a key-file (e.g. a CD or a memory-stick) or even both.
- Automatic generation of secure passwords
– extremly customizable password generator for fast and easy creation of secure passwords
- Precaution features- quality indicator for chosen passwords- hiding all passwords behind asterisks
- Encryption- either the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) or the Twofish algorithm are used
– encryption of the database in 256 bit sized increments
- Import and export of entries
– import from PwManager (*.pwm) and KWallet (*.xml) files- export as textfile (*.txt)
- Operating system independent
– KeePassX is cross platform, so are the databases, as well
- Free software
KeePassX is free software, published under the terms of the General Public License, so you are not only free to use it free of charge, but also to redistribute it, to examine and/or modify it’s source code and to publish your modifications as long as you provide the same freedoms for your modified version.
Shutter is a feature-rich screenshot program. You can take a screenshot of a specific area, window, your whole screen, or even of a website – apply different effects to it, draw on it to highlight points, and then upload to an image hosting site, all within one window. Features:
- take a screenshot of your complete desktop, a rectangular area or capture a website
- take screenshot directly or with a specified delay time
- save the screenshots to a specified directory and name them in a convenient way (using special wild-cards)
- generate thumbnails directly when you are taking a screenshot and set a size level in %
- Shutter session collection
- keep track of all screenshots during session
- copy screeners to clipboard
- print screenshots
- delete screenshots
- rename your file
- upload your files directly to Image-Hosters (e.g. http://ubuntu-pics.de), retrieve all the needed links and share them with others
- edit your screenshots directly using the embedded drawing tool
BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn’t know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean a thousand applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari,and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
Use BleachBit to:
- Free disk space
- Reduce the size of backups and the time to create them by removing unnecessary files
- Maintain privacy
- Improve system performance (by vacuuming the Firefox database, for example)
- Prepare whole disk images for compression (common for “ghost” backups and virtual machines) by wiping free disk space
Guake is a top-down terminal for linux. You just need to press a key to invoke him, and press again to hide. Guake supports hotkeys, tabs, background transparent, etc.
Terminator is a little project to produce an efficient way of filling a large area of screen space with terminals. The user can have multiple terminals in one window and use key bindings to switch between them. See the manpage for details.
- Arrange terminals in a grid
- Drag and drop re-ordering of terminals
- Lots of keyboard shortcuts
- Save multiple layouts and profiles via GUI preferences editor
- Simultaneous typing to arbitrary groups of terminals
VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2.